The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends three drug disposal options:
- Deliver medications to an approved medication disposal site. A disposal site can be found at http://www.awarerx.pharmacy/dispose-safely.
- Dispose with household trash:
- Mix medicines (do not crush tablets or capsules) with an unpalatable substance such as dirt, kitty litter, or used coffee grounds.
- Place the mixture in a container such as a sealed plastic bag.
- Throw the container in your household trash.
- Dispose by flushing down a sink or toilet. This method of disposal is reserved for medications with a high abuse/diversion potential or that may be harmful to pets/children (e.g., Fentanyl patches). A list of medications the FDA recommends for flushing can be found at the website listed below.
When disposing of medications, remember to stay HIPAA compliant. Be sure to black out all personal information on the prescription label of empty pill bottles or medicine packaging to make it unreadable, then dispose of the container.